I’m not going to say I invented these cupcakes. The combination of chocolate and peanut butter has long been replicated in baking recipes. I will, however, say I did this recipe the best I could find. These are not just chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting…these are REESE’S CUPCAKES. As in, just like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. As in, amazing.
You could use the Magnolia chocolate cupcake recipe (the old standby), but I instead used a devil’s food cake recipe that made for some awesomely fluffy cupcakes. Frosting is simple and completely foolproof, and I crumbled up some peanut butter cups for garnish. I suppose you could use Reese’s Pieces as well, but let’s be serious. Peanut butter cups are way better.
Am I right?
Devil’s Food Cake Cupcakes
(adapted from Martha Stewart’s recipe)
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 cup hot water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream, room temperature
Baking Temperature: 350 degrees
Baking Time: 20 minutes
- Line muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together cocoa and hot water until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt butter with sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to combine. Remove from heat, and pour into a mixing bowl. With an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat until mixture is cooled, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated.
- Add the vanilla, then cocoa mixture, and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three- quarters full. Bake until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool for 15 minutes, then remove from tins to cool completely.
Peanut Butter Frosting
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup heavy cream
crushed Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (for garnish)
- Place the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work.
- Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.
- Continue to add confectioners’ sugar until desired consistency is reached (you may not use all the sugar).
- Pipe or spread icing onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle on peanut butter cups.